Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions2024-03-28T21:46:24-04:00
What should you do if you have lost your pet?2024-03-11T14:47:03-04:00

If you have lost your pet, see a stray or need to surrender your pet please contact:

Bartow County Animal Control ​

If you have lost your pet it is important that you visit Bartow County Animal Control as soon as possible to check the facility for your animal. If Bartow County Animal Control does not have your animal at the facility, they can help you fill out a lost animal report and offer additional advice as to how you can search for your lost pet.

Most counties including Bartow County have “Lost and found Pets” Pages ran by volunteers, please check what local Facebook Group’s you could post or search in, for your area.

To help recover lost pets in the future, contact the Etowah Valley Humane Society for information about microchipping your pet!

May I surrender a dog or cat to your facility?2024-03-28T22:13:13-04:00

No. Etowah Valley Humane Society is not authorized to intake animals from the general public.

That designation goes to Bartow County Animal Control.

BCAC is the agency that picks up animals that have been abandoned, strayed, or surrendered by their owners. All of our homeless pets are rescued from BCAC. EVHS’s animals MUST have INTAKE papers from Bartow County Animal Control. We pull them based on adoptability and space availability at our facility.

To visit Bartow Animal Control’s Website: click here


Do you offer veterinary services?2024-03-16T13:27:27-04:00


EVHS is an adoption / rescue shelter. We are not permitted to offer veterinary services to animals not in our care.

For low cost services please contact Bartow County Animal Control:

Or visit for more information on additional options.

How much does it cost to adopt a dog or cat?2024-03-16T13:09:03-04:00

Our adoption fees are:

Dogs & Puppies $225
Cats & Kittens $175

This includes spay / neuter, microchipping, shots, dewormer, Capstar for fleas if needed, and immunizations. It also includes an initial visit to a participating veterinarian and a rabies vaccine. If the animal is old enough we also test for heartworms (dogs and cats), FIV (cats), and feline leukemia.

Can you give a history on the animal I am adopting?2024-03-16T13:08:06-04:00

Unfortunately, due to the nature of how most animals end up at Animal Control, we may not have the animal’s history.

We will provide you with any information that we have about your new pet upon adoption – including all veterinary services they received during our care.

What is Rescue @ Etowah Valley Humane?2024-03-16T13:27:51-04:00

Bartow County Animal ControlIntake Facility
Etowah Valley Humane SocietyAdoptions
Rescue @ Etowah Valley HumaneRescues / Transfers

Rescue @ Etowah Valley Humane works with Bartow County Animal Control and licensed Georgia Rescue Organizations to rescue the additional homeless pets out of Bartow County Animal Control that are not able to go to Etowah Valley Humane Society. These pets will eventually be available for adoption through the many rescue partnerships we have.

For More information about Rescue @ Etowah Valley Humane, visit this page.

Can I perform School Community Service at your facility?2024-03-11T14:49:15-04:00

Yes, we offer Community Service hours for school programs, please fill out a volunteer application here and sign in with the front desk and present your information.

Do you offer court-ordered community service hours?2024-03-11T15:00:11-04:00

Yes, but we only offer Court ordered Community Service hours for certain charges, please click here for more information.

Is Etowah Valley Humane Society hiring?2024-03-11T15:02:14-04:00

If you are a hardworking individual who would like to work with animals, you can view all open positions and apply on our employment page.

Will you spay or neuter my pet?2024-03-16T13:07:01-04:00

We cannot provide this service for personal pets at this time, but we do have a list of low-cost spay/neuter services on this page.

If you choose to adopt an animal from Etowah Valley Humane Society the adoption Fees include Spay/ Neuter, up-to-date Vaccines, Microchip, FIV/FeLV* (cats) or Heartworm* tested (dogs), Flea and tick and or Heartworm* preventatives, rabies shot*, and a free wellness exam by participating DVM’s, collar and leash, plus some goodies for the pet to take home!

*If animal is old enough

Do you have a list of rescues?2024-03-11T15:06:47-04:00

There are many rescues in the area; you can search online for general animal rescue groups or for specific breeds.

Can you send someone out to check on an abused animal?2024-03-11T15:07:38-04:00

No, Etowah Valley Humane Society is an adoption facility.

Bartow County Animal Control is the intake facility for lost & stray and owner surrendered pets and animal abuse. We are not authorized or staffed for this service. Please call Bartow County Animal Control at 770-387-5153, or call 911.

Can you pull a specific dog or cat from animal control for me to adopt?2024-03-16T13:09:55-04:00

Possibly. This is contingent upon space and testing of the animal. This requires a non-refundable fee of $125 in cash, or credit card.

Do you euthanize animals?2024-03-11T15:09:42-04:00

No, We are as close to a no-kill shelter as we can get.

The only time we euthanize is when an animal becomes aggressive or has a medical problem that is untreatable and extremely painful. At that time, it is actually more humane to have that animal euthanized.

Tori, Office Cat of Etowah Valley Humane Society
Adopt from Etowah Valley Humane Society
Go to Top